Living in a vacation destination town, like Charleston, means that we get a lot of out-of-town visitors to our house — and I love it! We also live out of state from all of our family, so when we are lucky enough to get them in Charleston, I want them to have an easy, relaxed visit. While we go out to dinner a decent amount when visitors are in town, I also like to make sure we have good food at the house.
Most of the meals I make for out-of-town guests involve a slow cooker. This allows us to be out exploring all day and come home to a meal that’s practically ready to go. I also love doing build-your-own bowls because everyone can customize their dinner to their preference. For lunches, I like having grain salads prepared in the fridge. They hold up great for a couple of days and can be made ahead of time.
Here are some of my tried and true recipes to make for visitors:
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- French Pancakes (This is a family recipe that everyone loves when they visit!)
- Cheesy Sausage Spinach Casserole
- Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Air Fryer Donut Holes (These are such a treat!)
- Charcuterie Board (Head to Trader Joe’s and load up on the good stuff — easy and inexpensive!)
- Mediterranean Farro Salad
- Build-Your-Own BLTs (Put out avocado, turkey, and onion for extra yummy options.)
- Goddess Curry Chicken Salad
- Summer Pasta Salad
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala (Serve with rice and warm naan.)
- Spaghetti and Chicken Meatballs with a big green salad.
- Taco Bar, complete with all of the toppings and taco shell choices (Make chicken or pork in the slow cooker to make it easy!)
- Build-Your-Own Greek Chicken Bowls