Giving back to our community is so important and we are excited to present Charleston Moms CARE, a series where we are highlighting different non-profits around the Lowcountry. We’ll tell you more about the organization and how you can access services, or get involved by volunteering or donating!
One of our features this month is Future Ready Education Initiative (FREI). It is a local non-profit which offers educational services to high school students and young adults in the Charleston area and online.
Future Ready Education Initiative
Started by teachers, this organization helps to prepare individuals for their future in the workplace or in college through individualized training. Their experience in the educational field showed them that many students struggle to manage themselves, their work, and their relationships. “National trends show that most high school graduates, college professors, and employers do not feel that having a diploma necessarily correlates with having the executive skills necessary to thrive as an adult.” That is where FREI steps in and fills this need for further training in the Charleston area.
Registration for courses is open to ages 14-22. In order to be accessible to all socioeconomic groups, FREI offers scholarships for services with a sliding scale payment option based on household income. The ultimate goal of FREI is to make a successful future attainable for everyone.
Future Ready Education Initiative provides the following services:
- College Readiness courses
- Career Readiness courses
- Connections with local professionals in an area of the student’s interest
- Individual Academic tutoring
- SAT/ACT Prep courses
New five-week courses are offered each school quarter. Coming up THIS MARCH 2022 is their next course: “Getting to and Getting Through College.” Students will receive soft skills training with an overview of applying for, entering, and successfully managing college as a budding adult. Students will take a deep dive into what drives our choices in colleges, majors, and extra activities along the way — as these are what mold us for entering our chosen career. This next course is designed for students in grades 10 & 11.
The schedule of each service provided varies with the program and need. Most services are provided in group settings, while tutoring is completely individualized. FREI offers in-person, virtual, or hybrid options. FREI utilizes local business and venue spaces throughout the Charleston area, and they can partner with local schools to offer their programming on campus.
Ways to Get Involved
- Represent your profession to students choosing their career paths. “Professional volunteers share about their personal experiences, either in person or virtually. Time commitment ranges from 30 mins to two hours.”
- Tutor teens in a specific subject area you excel in.
- Monetary donations help make FREI services more accessible to students in need.
- Donate supplies — view the FREI Wish List for new/used items.
- School Partnership — Share the FREI website with your child’s school administrators and/or guidance counselors.