“A good friend is like a four-leaf clover, hard to find and lucky to have.”~Irish Proverb
St. Patrick’s Day is upon us. Two of my absolute favorite things are celebrating St. Patrick’s Day and picture books. Combine those and I am a happy momma. Introducing holidays through the use of high-quality picture books is the best way to teach my favorite “wiggly” toddler at home.
My favorite toddler-approved St. Patrick’s Day books
- Patrick: Patron Saint Of Ireland
- By Tomie dePaola, illustrated by Tomie dePaola.
- Details: A historic story of Patrick from the famous children’s author Tomie dePaola.
- St. Patrick’s Day in the Morning
- By Eve Bunting, illustrated by Jan Brett
- Details: A traditional story about a young boy named Jamie who looks for a way to prove that he is not too young to march in the big St. Patrick’s Day parade.
- St. Patrick’s Day
- By Gail Gibbons
- Details: Child-friendly information about how St. Patrick’s Day is celebrated, from green decorations to shamrocks. People celebrate through cards, sharing meals, and wearing green to honor Ireland, and celebrate parades. This book wins for the most child-friendly informational text and there are lots of facts!
- St. Patrick’s Day Countdown
- By Salina Yoon, illustrated by Salina Yoon
- Details: Count down to St. Patrick’s Day with this shamrock-shaped board book for tiny fingers. My favorite book for 2 and 3-year-olds. There are bright colors and fun illustrations.
- The Luckiest St. Patrick’s Day Ever!
- By Teddy Slater, illustrated by Ethan Long
- Details: A new St. Patrick’s Day book to share with the family. Read about The Leprechaun family as they dance, sing, and march in a fun St. Patrick’s Day Parade.
- There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Clover!
- Series: There Was an Old Lady
- By Lucille Colandro, illustrated by Jared D. Lee
- Details: This is a favorite in this popular series. The old lady returned for St. Patrick’s Day. Follow this fun tale full of her swallowing items to make a perfect rainbow to hide a pot of gold.
- It’s St. Patrick’s Day
- Series: Scholastic Reader, Level 1
- By Rebecca Gómez, illustrated by Mary Morgan
- Details: Rhyming text throughout this tale of two children as they celebrate the Irish holiday.
All of these books can be found at Barnes and Nobles, Amazon, the local library, and Scholastic.com. I have slowly added these picture books to my holiday collection to read with my little one. I hope you enjoy these toddler-approved picture books and May “The Luck of the Irish” be with you and your little ones!