Since March we’ve all had to give up a lot of our ordinary lives for the sake of our family’s health and the health of our communities. While staying home, deciding what is and isn’t essential, and avoiding the crowds you may have also avoided places like the doctor or the dentist.
The doctors and staff at Kids Teeth in Mount Pleasant are urging parents NOT to skip out on regular dental checkups and cleanings for their children while we move through the COVID-19 pandemic as safely as we can. Dr. Mike, Board Certified Dentist at Kids Teeth shares that, “Dentistry is essential healthcare because studies have shown that underlying dental [and] periodontal disease puts patients at an increased risk for other systemic illnesses.”
Dr. Will and Dr. Mike shared some big reasons parents need to make their kids’ oral health a priority (even during times of uncertainty).
Making kids oral health a priority
- Prevention: Brushing twice daily, flossing, and visiting the dentist twice per year are the best ways to prevent early-stage cavities from growing and saving money on future dental problems. Catching problems, like cavities, early can prevent pain, infection, and the need for emergency treatments.
- Routine: Creating a dental routine for your child makes them more likely to enjoy their trips to the dentist and reduces anxiety. Visiting the same dental office regularly helps children get familiar with the pediatric dental office, it’s surroundings and the dental team.
- Improved Overall Health: Untreated dental issues can cause pain and infections that may lead to problems with eating, speaking, playing, and learning. A healthy mouth leads to increased confidence!
- Save Money: Skipping your biannual cleanings and x-rays can actually cost you more in the long run. Paying for preventative dental care is much less expensive than paying for fillings, crowns, and other expensive procedures to repair damage missed due to lack of regular care.
- Reinforcement: We all know children aren’t the best at listening to their parents and sometimes they need another adult or doctor to reinforce the message. The Pediatric Dentists team at Kids Teeth spends time talking to parents and their children about forming great brushing habits at home.
But is it safe to visit the dentist now?
Kids Teeth always puts the health and care of their patients and families as their top priority. In light of the Coronavirus pandemic, they are taking additional precautions so they can continue to practice in an environment that is as safe as possible.
Dr. Will MacDonald, Board Certified Pediatric Dentist at Kids Teeth assures that, “We understand that these are different times and we must add these extra safety measures to protect our patients and staff but there is no reason we can’t continue the Kids Teeth experience that patients and parents love and have a little fun while you’re here!”
Kids Teeth has always followed strict OSHA/CDC guidelines for Infection Control and have added extra safety measures to protect patients and their families. See further details on the Kids Teeth website.
Get Connected with Kids Teeth
Has it been a while since your child had a checkup or have you postponed their first visit due to the pandemic? Kids Teeth is ready to help you take excellent care of your child’s oral health!
Call Park West located at 1130 Professional Lane, Mt. Pleasant, SC 29466
Call Johnnie Dodds located at 1073 Jonnie Dodds Blvd., Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464