Giving back to our community is so important and we are very excited to introduce Charleston Moms CARE, a new series where we’ll be highlighting different nonprofits around the Lowcountry. We’ll tell you more about the organization and how you can get involved by volunteering!
Did you know that March is National Nutrition Month? An annual campaign created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, during the month of March, everyone is invited to learn about making informed food choices and developing healthy eating and physical activity habits. That’s why we’re kicking off our Charleston Moms CARE series with Amor Healing Kitchen and we are so excited to share more about this wonderful local organization.
Amor Healing Kitchen
Amor Healing Kitchen provides healthy, nourishing meals to people facing critical healthy challenges. They support local farmers, empower teens, and bring awareness to the connection between our food and our health. They bring teen volunteers into their kitchen and teach them culinary skills and nutrition, and they in turn prepare the meals for their clients. It is a 12-week program and each week the clients receive three entrees w/ sides, a soup or salad, a healthy snack, a healthy dessert, a menu, and a fresh bouquet of flowers donated by a local florist. They source organic ingredients from local and surrounding South Carolina farms.
Ways to get involved
Here are a few different ways you can get involved with Amor Healing Kitchen:
- As a client, you can participate in either their Seed Plan or their Sprout Plan (please note that you must meet these criteria to be eligible).
- Participate in their Virtual Community Cooking Class Series.
- Participate in their Guest Chef Cooking Class Series.
- Have a teen that may be interested in developing hands-on skills in the kitchen? Find out how they can apply to be a Teen Chef.
- Interested in volunteering yourself? Find out more about becoming a Kitchen Mentor where you can assist the Culinary Director and fellow volunteers in preparing meals for clients. These volunteer spots are currently full, but you can put yourself on a waitlist.
- Become a Delivery Angel. This is for caring adults who feel connected to the mission of Amor Healing Kitchen and are willing to be the “face of AMOR” to clients.
- Last, if you have experience in grant-writing or fundraising, inquire about how you can put these skills to use with Amor Healing Kitchen!
Let’s show our community some love! Help us spread the word about your favorite Lowcountry nonprofits by tagging us @charlestonmoms and using the hashtag #charlestonmomscare and we’ll share your pictures!