It seems that when you have kids, most of your outings as a family seem to be centered on what your kids would have fun doing. Don’t get me wrong, I love seeing the joy on my little boy’s face as he scales the playground equipment and squeals down the tube slide for the 100th time. But you know what I really love? Bringing my family to a place in Charleston, where not only do my kids have fun, but my husband and I genuinely have fun too! For our family, those activities usually involve being outside, live music, and let’s be honest…a few drinks for mom and dad. Lucky for us, Charleston has a ton of opportunities for this!
Here’s a round-up of our favorite activities around Charleston that moms, dads and kids can equally enjoy!
*Thanks to my fellow CMB contributors and friends for their suggestions too!
None of these places are sponsored – just activities we truly love! In no particular order…
- Kid’s Drum Circle at the Charleston Pour House: Every second Saturday of the month, this amazing local organization called Heal with HeARTS puts on a FREE kids drum circle on the deck of the Charleston Pour House on James Island. The kids have an amazing time drumming and learning about world cultures, and parents have an amazing time sipping beers and socializing on their beautiful deck. Follow Heal with Hearts on Facebook for Drum Circle times. Also, check out The Pour House’s Sunday Brunch Farmer’s Market for more family fun!
- Bohicket Marina: Grab a drink and sit outside while you wait for a table at one of the yummy restaurants. There is plenty of outdoor space for the kids to run around, as well as lawn games, live music, amazing sunsets and even an ice cream shop. What’s better than that?
- Music on the Green in Freshfields Village: Every Friday night this summer, Freshfields Village hosts a free concert on the Village Green. Bring chairs and blankets and watch your little ones dance their booties off! Pro tip: Pack their jammies because they’re probably going to fall asleep on the way home!
- Awendaw Green Barn Jams: Live, original music under the oaks in an old barn every Wednesday night throughout the year. Bring your dog (on a leash), kids, food, and your own alcoholic beverages and enjoy getting away from the busyness of the week.
- Firefly Distillery: Located out on beautiful Wadmalaw Island, Firefly Distillery is fun for the whole family because there are farm animals, picnic tables, a tire swing, music, and tons of room to run!
- Fill Piano Bar: On Sunday night, they have a family-friendly show and kids eat free! I’ve heard that kids can make requests for their favorites, like “Wheels on the Bus”. How cute!
- Workshop: Think a fancier food court with rotating chefs and an awesome courtyard for kids to play. We’re in!
- Bohemian Bull: Oh Bohemian Bull…let me count the ways that I love you. Amazing food? Check. Great beer list? Check. But the absolute best part about Bohemian Bull is their huge fenced in backyard with full-service tables and lawn games that allow kids to run and have fun while their parents mingle.
Other favorite restaurants include:
- Tattooed Moose on Johns Island for their “Music Under the Oaks” Saturday series.
- Triangle Char & Bar in West Ashley and Mt. Pleasant for general family fun.
- HomeTeam BBQ (downtown location) for their huge outdoor space and chalkboard section especially for kids to doodle! Oh, and the awesome BBQ.
- Smokey Oak Tap Room on James Island for their fenced in outdoor seating and cornhole area and live music.
- On Forty One in Mt. Pleasant for their Sunday Brunch complete with a jump castle. Kids getting all of their energy out while mom sips a mimosa? That sounds about right!
Some local brewery favorites:
- Friday Night Loading Dock Series at Palmetto Brewing Co: Almost every Friday night, the brewery hosts live music in their gorgeous courtyard. Cornhole and yard Jenga entertain the kids while the adults drink awesome beer. They even have really great food! Breweries in general are very family friendly and many of them have great places for kids to play.
- Rusty Bull Brewing Company in North Charleston
- Frothy Beard Brewing in West Ashley
- Two Blokes Brewery in Mt. Pleasant