Charleston offers so many fun activities for summer. Here’s a list of 50+ ideas to make this summer the best one yet with your kiddos!
- Enjoy hands-on fun through the many exhibits at the Children’s Museum of the Lowcountry.
- A walk along the Battery to Battery Park and White Point Gardens offers many sights of the water and boats and beautiful homes.
- Take a self-guided walking tour South of Broad and allow your children to explore the interesting architecture and history.
- And while you are walking, be sure to stop at the Waterfront Park & Pineapple Fountain, where children and adults can cool off in the water fountains or enjoy a ride on the waterfront swings.
- Catch Charlie and Chelsea at a Riverdogs game. Stay for fireworks after Friday games or catch a Kids Club Sunday game for free parking and kids eat free!
- Saturday mornings at the Charleston Farmer’s Market offers food, fun, crafts, and live music.
- Visit the Charleston Museum, which houses many child-friendly activities, including the playhouse. (Only open on the weekends).
West of the Ashley
- Take in the beauty of Magnolia Gardens and visit the Zoo and Nature Center, to view native livestock and animals.
- Charles Towne Landing offers a morning or afternoon of fun – explore the replica of a boat, walk through the animal forest, or bike the many trails.
- Paint with the kids at Art Buzz at Wine and Design.
- Teach the kids and yourself some new skills at the Kids Workshop at Home Depot. Participants receive materials for completing the craft, a certificate, a workshop apron, and a commemorative pin.
East of the Cooper
- Jump, jump, jump at Sky Zone.
- Play a game of putt-putt at Blackbeard’s Cove Family Fun Park.
- Take in a Charleston Battery game.
- Mount Pleasant Memorial Waterfront Park offers acres of fun for a game of frisbee on the lawn, playground play, or walk the pier and watch the boats.
- You can also enjoy Movies in the Park in August.
- Enroll kids in the Flight Academy at Patriots Point or explore the Yorktown as a family.
- Enjoy a walk, run, or bike at sunset on the Pitt Street Bridge.
- Enjoy lunch at one of the many restaurants on Shem Creek and view the boats, kayakers, and even perhaps a few dolphins.
- Make the kids scream for ice cream at Ben and Jerry’s IOP.
- Climb the observation tower at Mount Pleasant Palmetto Islands County Park.
- Run, walk or bike the trails and enjoy the scenery at Laurel Hill County Park in Mount Pleasant.
North Charleston & Summerville
- Spend a fun-filled water day at Whirlin’ Waters Adventure Park.
- Let the kiddos burn off some energy at Bizzy Bee Indoor Play Center.
- Race go-karts or play a round of mini-golf at Frankie’s Fun Park.
- Visit the North Charleston Fire Museum to ignite the firefighter in everyone.
- Munch on a picnic lunch at Azalea Park and then walk down the street for dessert (cupcakes!) at Bubbie’s Bakery.
- Check out the Summerville Public Works Art Center and maybe even enroll in a class! They have classes for the kiddos and adults!
- Just past Summerville, take a short drive to Bee City where you can experience a honeybee farm, petting zoo, and nature center.
- Rent pedal boats or kayaks and enjoy the water at the North Charleston Wannamaker County Park. Prefer to stay dry? Visit two playgrounds fit for all kids.
- Enjoy a relaxing late morning at the James Island Sunday Brunch Farmer’s Market with live music and good eats.
- Climb high and channel your inner Tarzan at Wild Blue Ropes Adventure Park.
- Splash, slide, and ride at the Splash Zone Water Park in James Island County Park.
- Bike the trails at James Island County Park and cool off at the splash pad.
Johns Island & Surrounding Islands
- All alligator, turtle, and snake lovers will enjoy the Edisto Island Serpentarium.
- Spend the day by driving out to Botany Bay Plantation Heritage Preserve, where you will experience a beach like no other.
- Take the kids out to the farm at Ambrose Farms for seasonal berry picking
- Freshfields Village offers many opportunities for fun this summer. Check out their events calendar for upcoming events.
All Around Charleston
- The Charleston County Public Libraries offer many activities for the summer, including a summer reading program, workshops, and movies. Pick up a complete activity calendar or visit www.ccpl.org for library-specific activities.
- By purchasing a Gold Pass for the Charleston County Parks you can check the remaining fun places to visit off your summer bucket list for no additional cost!
- Visit the Ravenel Caw Caw Interpretive Center for a scavenger hunt and nature walk.
- Visit Kiawah Beachwalker Park for a morning beach session.
- A trip to the Isle of Palms County Park offers a sand volleyball court, many picnic areas, and just a short walk over the dunes takes you right to the beach and oceanfront.
- Folly Beach County Park offers a great spot with ample parking…this beach access is ideal as there is only a short walk to the beach. The shelter also offers restroom facilities, and there are changing huts with showers spread throughout the park area for after-beach changes.
- Step back in history as you discover the beautiful grounds of McLeod Plantation.
- Walk the trails at the Mullet Hall Equestrian Center. Also, the site is home to many equestrian competitions, you might just get a horse show too!
- Venture to the northeastern side of Folly Beach to the Lighthouse Inlet Heritage Preserve. This site offers views of Morris Island Lighthouse.