When it comes to dating your spouse or significant other, it’s easy to get stuck in the same routine of dinner, dinner and a movie, or dinner and drinks. Charleston has so many amazing award-winning restaurants that sometimes it can be hard to think outside of the dinner date box. We put together this list of 125+ date ideas to get you out of your rut and put the fun back into your dates!
*Please note – While we make every effort to crosscheck current links and event details on our guides, we always encourage you to do the same before making final plans. If details are missing or incorrect, please let us know so that we can correct them.
For the Animal and Nature Lovers
- Get up close with sea creatures at the South Carolina Aquarium
- Go geocaching, bird watching, biking, or hiking at Charles Towne Landing
- Explore the area’s creeks on a stand-up paddleboard or kayak with Coastal Expeditions
- Take a “Meet the Breeds” guided tour at the Stable Yards at Middleton Place
- Grab your rod and reel and go fishing at a local pier or creek.
- Take a stroll on the Pitt Street Bridge, along Waterfront Park downtown, or in one of Charleston’s many beautiful parks.
- Visit the beautiful Angel Oak Tree.
- Head to Cypress Gardens and take out one of their boats where The Notebook was filmed! You can also walk the grounds and have a picnic.
For the Art Aficionados
- Stroll in and out of galleries at the French Quarter Art Walk
- Immerse yourself in the culture at the Gibbes Museum of Art
- BYOB to Wine & Design or The Art Place Studio
- Make your own candle at Candlefish
- Visit an art gallery in one of the downtown art districts
- Try a DIY wood making workshop at Board & Brush Charleston
For the Festival Fans
Mark your calendars for one of Charleston’s fantastic festivals:
- Southeastern Wildlife Exposition
- Charleston Fashion Week
- Lowcountry Cajun Festival
- Volvo Car Open on Daniel Island
- Festival of Houses and Gardens
- Spoleto Festival
- Lowcountry Irish Festival
For the Thrill Seekers
- Cheer your partner on and tackle obstacles together at Wild Blue Ropes
- Challenge your teamwork and problem-solving skills by trying to escape at Break Out Charleston or Escape in 60
- Looking for an adrenaline rush? Go skydiving! (Sky Dive Charleston)
- Explore Charleston’s haunted side with a dungeon, cemetery, or ghost walking tour.
- Run or walk the Ravenel Bridge and stop at the top for a picnic.
- Train for a 5K, 10K, Mud Run, or Color Run!
- Check out one of Charleston’s many ax-throwing places! There’s even pop-up ax-throwing by Blade & Bull that shows up at local breweries around Charleston! Bonus: it’s all outdoors and social distancing is easy!
For the Foodies
- Take a cooking class at Coastal Cupboard
- Head to the Farmers Market to try out some local goodies
- Use this interactive map to find some of the area’s best food trucks!
- Enjoy food or drinks on one of the area’s many rooftop bars or patios.
For the History Buffs
- Dive into the history of the Lowcountry at the Charleston Museum
- Visit one of the historic plantations like Boone Hall, Magnolia Plantation and Gardens, or Drayton Hall
- Take a tour of the historic Nathaniel Russell House, Aiken-Rhett House, or Williams Mansion
- Take a carriage tour around town
- Go shopping in the Charleston City Market
- Tour the USS Yorktown, Fort Sumter, or the Hunley
For the Hopeless Romantics
- Take a ballroom dancing class.
- Book a couples massage at Urban Nirvana.
- Pack charcuterie or delicious takeout and drinks and take a sunset cruise through the harbor or the marshes. Don’t forget dessert!
- Take a private carriage ride around town.
- Take a relaxing walk on the beach and enjoy the sunset.
- Rent a boat and captain through HOBA (Hop on a Boat Anywhere) and picnic while sailing around the harbor!
For the Kids at Heart
- Bounce and play at Adult Game Night at Sky Zone
- Challenge your partner to a game of bowling at The Alley
- Spend a night ice skating at Carolina Ice Palace
For the Adult Beverage Lover
- Go bar hopping on Folly Beach. With lots of outdoor patios, it always feels like a vacation there.
- Revelry Brewing Co
- Holy City Brewing
- Palmetto Brewing Company
- Coast Brewing Company
- Westbrook Brewing
- Frothy Beard
- Pour Taproom
- Commonhouse Aleworks
- COAST Brewing Company
- Rusty Bull Brewing Co.
- Deepwater Vineyard
- Bin 152
- Ardoa Wine Bar
- Accent on Wine
- Uncork Charleston
- Josephine Wine Bar
- Graft Wine Shop
- Wine Down Wednesday at Old Towne Creek County Park
For the Movie Fanatic
- Grab dinner, drinks, and a movie at Cinebarre
- Experience a movie in IMAX at the Citadel Mall
- Enjoy an independent film at the Terrace Theater
For the Music Lovers
- Catch a concert at the Music Farm, Charleston Music Hall, or the North Charleston Coliseum
- Attend a show at the Spoleto Festival
- Listen to live music at the Charleston Pour House
- See one of the Charleston Symphony Orchestra’s fantastic concerts
- High Water Fest
For the Staycationers
Book a room at one of these fabulous Charleston locations! And check out our Guide to Staycations in Charleston!
- Belmond Charleston Place
- The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island
- The Restoration
- Wild Dunes Resort
- Hotel Bella Grace
- The Dewberry
Bed & Breakfasts:
For the Sports Fanatics
- Enjoy America’s favorite past time at a Riverdogs game
- Cheer on the Battery – Charleston’s professional soccer team
- Join an intramural sports league
- Catch a Stingrays hockey game
- Watch a tennis match at the Volvo Car Open
- Play a round of golf at one of Charleston’s beautiful golf courses
- Cheer for the Cougars at a College of Charleston game, for the Bulldogs at Citadel game, or the Bucs of Charleston Southern
For the Theater Enthusiasts
Attend a professional production by these amazing theater companies
- Charleston Stage Company at the Dock Street Theater
- The Footlight Players
- South of Broadway
- Holy City Shakespeare
- College of Charleston Department of Theater and Dance
- Theater 99 (Comedy Show)
- The Black Fedora Comedy Mystery Theater
- Threshold Repertory Theater
- Charleston Performing Arts Center
For the Couple with a Sweet Tooth
What better way to end your night than with dessert! Here are some of our favorites:
- Cupcake DownSouth
- Kaminsky’s Baking Company
- Gala Desserts
- King Street Cookies
- Glazed Doughnuts
- Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream
- Luckhaus & Brubaker
- Republic Ice Cream
- Belgian Gelato
For those staying home
- Try out a date night subscription box.
- Cook your favorite meal together and eat it after the kids go to bed
- Eat caviar in the backyard
- Dive deeper into your relationship (and get to know each other more) with John Gottman’s book The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work
- Put the screens away and play a board game together
Still looking for more ideas? Check out 15 Free (Or Cheap) Date Ideas that Don’t Require A Babysitter and Ways I’m Connecting With My Spouse Right Now (Monthly Date Night Ideas)