It’s no secret that Charleston is one of the most charming cities in America, and while it has a lot of popular places to eat and explore, there are some sweet places tucked away around the Charleston area that would make for a wonderful day date or date night option with your significant other.
Paddle through the swamp.
1. Located in Moncks Corner, just outside of Summerville, Cypress Gardens makes for a nice day date option no matter where you live in the Charleston area. Since 1932, it has been featured in several magazines, TV shows, and movies. Take a canoe ride through the cypress swamp to experience the same romantic atmosphere you may remember seeing Noah and Allie share in the movie The Notebook. If you’re a Berkeley County resident, they offer half-price admission every Sunday, as well as a free Saturday admission quarterly.
Plan a staycation.
2. A vacation is awesome, but when you live in a hot travel destination like Charleston, why not try a staycation instead? Have grandma watch your kiddos for a night while you and your husband “getaway” to a local bed and breakfast like 1837 Bed and Breakfast in Charleston or The Pink Dolphin Bed and Breakfast in Summerville. There are many off the beaten path overnight stay options on Airbnb if you’re unable to find reservations at one of these local bed and breakfasts.
Go on a nature walk.
3. If you love to be one with nature and enjoy being outdoors, check out Caw Caw Interpretive Center. You and your significant other can stroll through the grassy path by the swamp and see the alligators, as well as walk through the wooded trail looking for birds. Visit the information center to pick up a map, learn about local wildlife, and buy a keepsake in their little gift shop.
Have dinner at the fish camp.
4. Charleston is the ultimate destination for the food enthusiast, but sometimes you just want to go somewhere away from the hustle and bustle. A yummy, casual, and laid-back spot serving brunch, lunch, and dinner is Ellis Creek Fish Camp. Nestled in the marshes of James Island, you’ll find this quaint little restaurant that’s open every day of the week. Enjoy a seafood plate, salad, sandwich, or taco, as well as a chicken or burger option if one of you doesn’t care for fish. Feel free to bring along your furry friend. They have a special menu just for dogs!
Do yoga with a goat.
5. Get fit with your husband . . . and a goat! Goat yoga has become a popular activity and there happens to be a local farm in Summerville that has been letting their goats get in on all the fun. A unique date idea just in time for Valentine’s weekend, they still have a few tickets left for their class on Saturday, February 15 at Flowertown Charm Farm in Summerville!
Go horseback riding on the beach.
6. What’s more romantic than “long walks on the beach?” How about a horseback ride on the beach? Seabrook Island Equestrian Center out of John’s Island offers private, guided tours on horseback along the beautiful shoreline of North Beach. They have options available for all skill levels. Visit their website to “meet” their horses and see their current rates.
Have a picnic at Pitt Street Bridge.
7. If you’re looking for a simple date spot in Mount Pleasant, Pitt Street Bridge might be the place for you. As a former trolley bridge connecting Sullivan’s Island and Mount Pleasant, look for this scenic walking path in the Old Village Historic District. Bring a picnic lunch, ride bikes, or go fishing together. If you’re there in the evening, this area makes for a beautiful place to watch the sun go down!