When my husband and I moved to Charleston, we had zero clue what part of town we should live in. We asked our realtor where all of the young families were, and he said, “everywhere.” Super helpful. So we looked…everywhere! And by luck, we ended up on James Island.
My love for James Island runs DEEP. I don’t think I have ever loved someplace I’ve lived as much as I love James Island. There is something so special about this little island and it feels like everyone who lives here knows it. There are so many reasons to love living on James Island, but here are my top five:
5 Reasons I love Living On James Island
- Small Town Feel. One of my favorite things about James Island is how it feels like a small town. I feel like I run into someone I know all the time, which I love. The librarians, bank tellers, and women at the packing and shipping store know you. Our beautiful brand new town hall hosts events (like the Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony) that feel straight out of a movie. I have never lived in a small town, but now I know the charm of it! Seeing familiar faces everywhere you go, feeling a part of a community and connected to your neighbors…it’s just the best!
- Chilled Out, Relaxed Vibe. I think being so close to Folly Beach helps give James Island its cool, hippy vibe. James Islanders are just happy and chill. From my perspective (and I’m sure this could be debated), there’s not a lot of “mommy wars” or competition as to who has the nicest house, etc. People are genuinely really nice and are open to meeting new people. Our neighborhood is not fancy, but we’ve got the best neighbors in the world. To me, that’s everything.
- Location. I tell people all the time that I live ten minutes from downtown Charleston and ten minutes from the beach. What is better than that? I feel so lucky that I can take the kids on a last-minute walk on the beach at 5 pm without having to make a big day of it. And, I love that it takes such little effort to get downtown! It seriously is the best of both worlds. It’s so fun to be so close to the excitement of a beach town and also have such easy access to the #1 tourist city.
- Small Businesses. James Island is filled with wonderful and quirky small businesses and restaurants. Oh, Bohemian Bull, Smokey Oak Taproom, Baguette Magic, Tiny Tadpoles, Charleston Pour House, Ellis Creek Fish Camp, Paisanos, Zia Taqueria, Terrace Theater…let me count the ways that I love you! There are so many small businesses that I love here! It’s rare to see a chain restaurant and that’s the way I like it.
- Parks, Outdoor Space, and the Views! As an island, we are blessed with spectacular views. Driving along Harborview Road and looking out towards the peninsula is gorgeous. Driving down Folly Road at sunset towards the beach is breathtaking. These views remind me daily how lucky I am to live here! And the parks on James Island! We have one of the best county parks (James Island County Park), in my opinion. Sunrise Park overlooks the harbor and is great for hunting for sharks’ teeth. We also have awesome playgrounds like Plymouth Park and Pickney Park.
Have I convinced you yet that James Island is THE BEST? If you live on James Island, I’d love to know your favorite things about living here! Comment below and let me know!